What inspires you? For the folks at eBay, inspiration has come in the form of some Olympic-sized acts of generosity. We’re talking about the eBay #BeInspired campaign, an incredible coming together of Olympic athletes donating to the charitable causes they care about most.
And eBay was there to make this singular campaign happen. It all started when eBay handed the Olympians $1,000 each to browse current listings and purchase whatever items they saw fit to donate to their charities of choice. Then, the star athletes took it upon themselves to hand-deliver the items to their organizations!
This meant watching…
- Small-but-mighty wrestler Clarissa Chun (http://ebay-stories.com/be-inspired-clarissa-chun-teams-up-with-ebay) hand over medals to the Westside Wrestling Club of Kauai
- Rock star/swimmer Anthony Ervin (http://ebay-stories.com/be-inspired-anthony-ervin-teams-up-with-ebay) donating a camera to the international Water to the Thirsty project.
- Gym class hero and gymnastic star John Orozco (http://ebay-stories.com/be-inspired-john-orozco-teams-up-with-ebay) giving back to the Colorado Training Center, a sports programs serving low-income kids
- 2012 Olympic bronze medalist Coleman Scott (http://ebay-stories.com/be-inspired-coleman-scott-teams-up-with-ebay) chose to donate to the Oklahoma City Warriors club, run by Tyler Williams.
- Entrepreneur and Olympic wrestling contender Jake Herbert (http://ebay-stories.com/be-inspired-jake-herbert-teams-up-with-ebay) chose a local charity, Beat the Streets (Detroit). He estimates he will be able to buy about 20 pairs of wrestling shoes to help the budding wrestlers in that program.
Followers of the campaign benefited as well, as eBay gave away five $25 gift cards and five #BeInspired T-shirts daily. These were different ways followers could learn how to be entered:
Twitter: On September 3 from 12pm to 1pm PST we had,the Be Inspired Twitter party where tweets using the hashtag #BeInspired would win. Although you can’t win this way anymore, you can still follow the athletes: Olympic wrestlers Jake Herbert (@Jakeherbert84), Clarissa Chun (@ClarissaChun) and Coleman Scott (@CScott60kg), Olympic gymnast John Orozco (@JohnOrozco), and Olympic swimmer Anthony Ervin (@AnthonyErvin)
Pinterest: Visit and follow eBay’s Be Inspired Pinterest board.
Watch the athletes tell their story in their own words on the eBay YouTube Channel.
Take a look at this video, which summarizes the story behind the five Olympic athletes giving back as part of the #BeInspired campaign:
But if you’d rather not leave things to chance, you can buy a t-shirt signed by one of these amazing athletes right here on eBay (click here to go to the store). The seller, cradlegear13, has teamed up with the athletes participating in the #BeInspired campaign to sell these signed t-shirts. According to the listing, 10% of the money raised will go to eBay GivingWorks, so you will be helping to support charity with your purchase.
But it has been the sellers and buyers on eBay who have read the various blog posts that have had a lot to say about the #BeInspired campaign. Here are some of the comments about the athletes and their good works, all culled right here on the eBay stories blog:
“going the distance”
“warms my heart”
“so proud of you”
“healing and strength”
“a heart to serve”
“out of the box”
“dream the dream”
And, here’s our favorite, of course: “a true inspiration.” #BeInspired